How To Ensure Safety And Security Of Locks
Are you always concerned about the safety and security that your locks can provide? Lock safety is a very crucial thing to always look at since if you are not feeling secure you cannot be comfortable even in your home. One has to invest in buying a good lock by considering factors such as the cost, finishes or appearance, durability and the style of the lock. When you are selecting the door locks you have to first differentiate between the interior and exterior doors. You can also choose between electric locks and manual locks.
To ensure the safety and security of your locks you should always:
- Upgrade the door locks of front and back doors that is in case you lost keys
- Always ensure that you can account for every set of the keys.
- Doors and windows should be secured with deadbolts.
- Store all extra keys in safe box.
- You can rekey the locks in case of robbery or lose of the original keys
The four main locks that you can select from and their security features include:
It is attached permanently to the door or window. Padlocks are found in different sizes, are easy to carry. They can be keyed or a combined padlock.
You can install this on your exterior doors. They are usually three types: primary, secondary and lockable. They can be rekeyable, in case you lose the key.
iii. Knob locks
Are commonly installed in residential houses. This can easily be broken using tools such as hammers, pliers or wrenches.
- Lever handle
Is the most common and frequently used in commercial houses. They are very easy to open compared to knob locks. They can be used even by handicap people.
In case you find yourself locked up inside your home there are several things that you can do which include:
- Checking for open windows you can try and get out through them.
- You can use the credit card by inserting in the crack. Insert the card between the door and the latch.
- Request for help
- Remove the knob-if the lock is not connected with a dead bolt you can easily get into the house.
- If you have rented you can ask the land lord for a spare key
- You can call a locksmith if all other methods are not successful you can seek for the services of a locksmith a cost.
A locksmith is a person who deals with locks which are found in the doors, safes, windows and cars. They usually:
- Install locks in doors, cars and safes.
- Repair broken locks
- Adjust loose locks
- Help people who have or those who want to been locked out consult about security.
- They cut keys for different locks
A good locksmith should :
- Should respond within a short time since somebody’s life may be in danger.
- Be knowledgeable and have experience so as to ascertain the problem and repair it immediately.
- There prices should be affordable and friendly so that everybody can afford.
- Trust worth person this is because they usually have many secrets pertaining to your security.
- Should be licensed this is to ensure that the person trained and has no legal problems.
To ensure the safety and security of locks there are several things that one should ensure such as repairing and replacing of broken locks, rekeying the locks or even cutting keys. This can easily be done by an experienced, trustworthy, licensed locksmith.