Since the recent referendum here in the UK that saw us vote to leave the EU, there have been rumors, propaganda, and deliberate misinformation regarding just what the vote really means. For instance, most UK citizens aren’t really sure whether they can use their European health insurance cards while traveling across the EUL, or whether the cards were rendered unusable by the vote. But for the sake of setting the record straight, EHIC still continues to be used and accepted across the Europe. As a UK citizen traveling or visiting any of the EU nations, and Switzerland, it is very important that you carry your EHIC card with you. If yours is expired, make a point of renewing it on time, so that you avoid any inconveniences that come with traveling with an expired card.
There are several benefits of having an EHIC card when traveling in the European economic area;
- Caters for all manner of emergencies; One of the best benefits of having an EHIC card with you while traveling across the EEA is that in case of any emergency, you are well taken care of. In instances where you have traveled either for business, holiday, or whatever, and a medical emergency arose, you can use this card to access treatment in a public facility.
- Pre existing conditions; unlike most private insurance covers that are strict on the conditions or eventualities that they cover, a European Health Insurance Card covers all pre existing medical conditions. Thus you should be glad to have this card with you, because regardless of whatever condition is ailing you, you will still be able to access quality healthcare while on the move. Again, as long as you are visiting a public facility, you’ll be attended to.
- Peace of Mind; there is the peace and calm of mind that comes from knowing that you have all eventualities covered and catered for. While the new European health card is just a preserve of medical emergencies, it is a good thing since it gives you some peace of mind knowing that in case of anything, you are well covered.
- Application process if easy; another major benefit of having a EHIC card while traveling across the European economic area is that the process has been made very easy. You can rely on third parties like travel agencies to help in the application process. This is especially helpful if you have short notice to travel, and need to really have the card ready by date of departure. By the time you struggle to find out more about the application process, duration; an agent or travel agency will have secured the card for you.
- Even NHS recommends it; EHIC card enables you to access the same kind of medical services you would in the UK under NHS, while abroad. Furthermore, it is easier to get reimbursed for the cost of treatment and Medicare, when you’ve used an EHIC card.
Can be renewed; if your card got expired, the renewal process is quite easy and straightforward. You can also consult an agent to help you replace a lost card, where you are offered with a provisional certificate for the time being.